Sunday, May 19, 2013

The Cars

     Two sayings come to mind when I think of The Cars; sex sells and timing is everything. To say that the covers of The Cars first two albums were right in the wheelhouse of a teenage boy would be a gross understatement. When I was in 8th grade, we had a few teachers who periodically let us bring in records to listen to during class. I remember one of my classmates brought in The Cars debut album and it was love at first sight. The cover featured that smiling girl with the red lips and red nails clutching a clear acrylic steering wheel. It was like she was saying to me, "For a good time, buy the Cars album". So I did. This, however, was nothing compared to the cover of Candy-O. That cover, with a pinup drawing of a busty, leggy red head sprawled out on a car, was so provocative I was too embarrassed to even buy it. Looking back it's kind of funny, because at the time I wore a Charlie's Angels sweatshirt and had a Lynda Carter Wonder Woman poster in my room. It wasn't until I was in my 40's that I finally bought a used copy of Candy-O on vinyl. Back in the day, I did have a cassette with The Cars on side one and Candy-O on side two, so it was all good.
     You have probably noticed some inconsistencies in my posts with regards to keyboards. I love prog rock, but I railed against Van Halen and Rush in the mid-80's. All I can say in my own defense is I know what I like (and what I don't like). On the surface, The Cars were a New Wave band that embraced keyboards. However, The Cars had two things over other New Wave bands. One was an amazing left-handed guitarist, Elliot Easton. Easton was the secret weapon that expanded The Cars appeal to album rock fans. The other was the smart lyrics of supermodel marrying, GbV producing, Ric Ocasek. When I was 13, I didn't understand most of what Ocasek was singing, but it sounded cool. His lyrics were all about hooking up, but they were couched in a more modern vocabulary. He used phrases like; nuclear boots, psilocybin pony, electric angel, clock machine, cadium car, plastic sneakers and razor lights. And he had an enormous Adam's apple:)
     I love those first two albums, but in the early 80's they were off my radar. Then, when I was in college, Heartbeat City ruled the land. The Cars were a staple of MTV. I hated it at the time. Now that I'm older, I've come to enjoy songs like "Magic", "Hello Again" and "You Might Think". I still don't like "Drive", though.  I didn't have any of The Cars albums on cd, so last year I bought the Complete Greatest Hits. I recommend The Cars, Candy-O and the greatest hits to my kids. Here's a list of my favorite lines from the first two Cars albums. Peace.

* Can I touch you? Are you out of touch? I guess I never noticed that much.
* Can I bring you out in the light? My curiosity's got me tonight.
* They want to crack your crossword smile. Can I take you out for a while?
* Let them brush your rock and roll hair.
* You've got your nuclear boots and your drip dry glove.
* You got the wisenheimer  brainstorm
* It's such a wavy midnight when you slip into insane. Electric angel rock and roller I hear what you're playing.
* I got a lot on my head, most of it's you.
* When you idle at the stop light you better get the signal right.
* And once in the night I dreamed you were there. I cancelled my flight from going nowhere.
* She's got wonderful eyes and a risque mouth. And when I asked her before she said she's holding out. She's a frozen fire. She's my one desire.

No comments:

Post a Comment