Wednesday, August 24, 2022

Mt. Rushmore: 1967

 

     As I dug into 1967, it didn't hold up as well as I originally thought. I also have a conundrum whether to count Magical Mystery Tour as an actual studio album. If I did it would be on the Mt. Rushmore. However, it's basically an EP from a TV show, plus some singles that had already been released, so I'm not going to count it. Many of my contenders for 1967 were disappointing upon further review. They included The Moody Blues Days of Future Passed, Mothers of Invention Absolutely Free, Jefferson Airplane Surrealistic Pillow and Cream Disraeli Gears. I also gave Forever Changes by Love a chance, because I've never listened to it. Turns out I had heard the opening track before and I hate it. There were a couple decent songs, but overall not my thing. Moby Grape was a close call. I liked it quite a bit, but it couldn't crack the top four. Finally. Miles Davis, like many other artists in 1967, had two albums in 1967 and they split the vote. 

     My number one for 1967 is a fellow left-handed guitarist who was much better than me; Jimi Hendrix Are You Experienced. This is almost a greatest hits album. Purple Haze. Manic Depression. Hey Joe. The Wind Cries Mary. Fire. Foxey Lady. Are You Experienced. While Hendrix is remembered as an innovative guitarist, these are great songs as well. 

     Number two is The Beatles' Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band. When it came out it blew minds around the world. It hasn't aged as well, however I feel Glies Martin's remastering a few years ago gave Sgt. Pepper a new life. It's probably the number three Beatles record in my opinion. I love tracks like "Good Morning, Good Morning", "For the Benefit of Mr. Kite" and "Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds". Some of the weaker songs, like "She's Leaving Home", were greatly improved on the Giles Martin remaster. 

     "Gate is straight, deep and wide. Break on through to the other side". Yes, number three is the debut by The Doors. I know Morrison is a divisive figure for rock fans, but I'm a sucker for pretentious music so I love The Doors. "She won't waste time on elementary talk, she's a 20th century fox". Like Are You Experienced, this is basically a greatest hits record. Maybe I have arrested development, but I enjoy lines like "Show me the way to the next whiskey bar", "You can eat your dinner, eat your pork and beans. I eat more chicken than any man's ever seen" and "He took a face from the ancient gallery and he walked on down the hall". "The End" is probably my favorite pretentious song of all-time. "Lost in a Roman wilderness of pain and all the children are insane". Fantastic!

     Number four is Piper at the Gates of Dawn by the Syd Barrett lead Pink Floyd. As much as I love David Gilmour, it's a shame Syd couldn't handle being in a rock band. He was extremely talented and charismatic. This record features some trippy tunes like "Lucifer Sam", "The Gnome" and "Bike". There are also epic tracks that show what the bands future would be, such as, "Astronomy Domine", "Take Up Thy Stethoscope and Walk" and "Interstellar Overdrive". Great album!

     Looking ahead to 1966, there are obviously two albums locked in. I will review the year one more time to sort out the other two spots. Well, the clocks says it's time to go now. Peace.




No comments:

Post a Comment