Sunday, August 14, 2022

Mt. Rushmore: Greatest Hits Artists

 

     I thought I'd take a break in the middle of the Seventies to discuss artists that I love, but just for the hits. Some music lovers are snobs when it comes to greatest hits albums, but for some artists that's all you really need. I'm running into this issue with these Mt. Rushmores for best albums. Some of my favorite groups can't make the cut. Before I get to my top four, I have a couple honorable mentions; Jackson Browne and Hall and Oates. Love the hits, can't listen to the albums. I'm not going to rank these artists, because I don't have to; it's my blog.

     The first album I bought with my own money was Elton John"s Greatest Hits Volume 1. I love Elton John, even though I couldn't pull the trigger to see his farewell tour. My babysitter, when I was a kid, always brought over Elton John records. While Goodbye Yellow Brick Road is a great album, I have only listened to it all the way through maybe three times in my whole life. The only deep cut that I consider an iconic tune is "All the Young Girls Love Alice". I kind of got away from Reg in the Eighties, but now I love those singles too. I will listen to his greatest hits until the day I die, but not any of the albums. 

     I have two greatest hits collections for Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers and no albums. Not even Damn the Torpedes.  I have a Rickenbacker and spend time online trying to learn Tom Petty songs, but I don't need any of his albums. I don't have any of his solo albums and I only have The WIlburys first album on CD. I don't remember the last time I listened to the whole thing. Love the hits though...a lot. 

     I do own a few Steely Dan albums on CD, but I only listen to their greatest hits collections, of which I have a few. Well, that's not completely true. I do listen to Aja periodically. The only deep cut I love is "Any Major Dude", if that counts as a deep cut. Their singles are right in my wheelhouse. I keep meaning to really take a deep dive into their discography, but I haven't yet. Maybe I will come around to the catalog someday. 

     I have repeatedly professed my love of Jeff Lynne in this blog. I own some ELO albums, but literally only listen to the greatest hits collections. The hits are tremendous and are really all you need. Sorry Mr. Lynne. 

     I think I will make a Mt. Rushmore for live albums when I finish the Seventies. Then I can recognize some of the bands who were better live than in the studio. Peace.



No comments:

Post a Comment