Sunday, August 28, 2022

The 2000's Revisited

 

     Now that my yearly album Mt. Rushmores are done, I feel like I may have taken an unintentional crap on the 2000's. While I stand by my perspective regarding Mt. Rushmores for the 2000's, there admittedly have been many tremendous records released in the past 22 years. I reviewed the year 2000 again and would be hard-pressed to come up with a Mt. Rushmore without doing a deep dive on dozens of records I don't own and have never heard. But I love Doves Lost Souls and Badly Drawn Boy The Hour of Bewilderbeast and Modest Mouse The Moon & Antarctica. And De Stijl by The White Stripes is pretty good too, but are these albums Mt. Rushmore wothy? 

     I think going forward, I would like to focus on albums of the 2000's. As I said, there are many great records that I know and love. There are also thousands I have meant to get around to, but haven't managed. It might be chronological, or just random. I haven't made that call yet. This could also be an exercise to step out of my comfort zone and try new genres. My instinct is to examine records I enjoy and not bother with those I don't. Who am I to tell people Adele is horrible? And who knows, maybe Harry Styles is amazing. Or BTS. I do know my faith in music has been restored by artists like Yard Act, Wet Leg, Horsegirl and D.C. Fontaines. 

     On a side note, my next Sound Mind post will be number 200. Not too impressive since I began this blog almost 10 years ago, but it's a milestone nonetheless. It feels good to publish something everyday, even though these posts are basically stream of consciousness, unedited first drafts. Hopefully it's not too obvious. Peace.




No comments:

Post a Comment