Friday, August 19, 2022

Mt. Rushmore: 1970

 

     Don't say I didn't warn you. 1970 is going to be jazz-tastic. Yes, even though this is the year of the final album by The Beatles, and their subsequent solo albums, I'm going jazz heavy. Since I'm on the topic of The Beatles, and we are going into the Sixties, I thought I should clear up a  Sound Mind policy. I have stated previously that I don't include The Beatles in any lists due to my philosophy of Beatles Exceptionalism. However, I am making an exception for the Mt. Rushmores, because it's a one off thought experiment for ranking my favorite albums. So, it would be crazy not to include The Beatles. Having said that, none of their releases for 1970 made my cut. Let it Be was close. I love the album and the Peter Jackson documentary, but it was really recorded before Abbey Road, not 1970. All Things Must pass was the last cut. It has some great George Harrison songs, but too much filler. The other cuts were John Lennon Plastic Ono Band, Black Sabbath self-titled, CCR Cosmo's Factory, Neil Young After the Gold Rush, Syd Barrett Madcap Laughs and The Kinks Lola vs. the Powerman, 

     Number one is by, arguably, the most important musical artist of the 20th century; Miles Davis' Bitches Brew. Admittedly, I had to work my way up to Bitches Brew, but it is a jazz masterpiece. Miles literally runs the voodoo down. The list of musicians on Bitches Brew is like a jazz hall of fame; Dave Holland, Jack De Johnette, Chick Corea, John McLaughlin, Airto Moreira, Wayne Shorter, Joe Zawinul and Lenny White, just to name a few. The album was ably "produced" by the legendary Teo Macero, who basically spliced together jam sessions. The standout track is "Miles Runs the Voodoo Down". If you want to dig, there are also many outtakes from the Bitches Brew sessions out there which are also tremendous. 

     The opening track of my number two album sounds like it could have been straight from Bitches Brew. The track is "Singing Winds, Crying Beasts" from Abraxas by Santana. Before he released Supernatural, I considered Carlos Santana as a top five guitarist because of his amazing feel as a player. Unfortunately, Supernatural soured me on him. Abraxas is a stellar album though. Interestingly, the two hits were covers; Fleetwood Mac's "Black Magic Woman" and Tito Puente's "Oye Como Va". In addition to Santana's inspired playing, the album is marked by the brilliant percussion work of Mike Carabello and Jose Areas. They really steal the show. 

     Number three is by one of my favorite saxophonists, Stanley Turrentine's Sugar. Despite the album cover being gross, the album is fantastic. Whereas Miles and Coltrane had gone electric and avant garde by 1970, Turrentine teamed up with Freddie Hubbard, Ron Carter and George Benson to create a traditional jazz masterpiece. I would consider Stanley Turrentine the last great jazz saxophonist. He is criminally underrated. Check him out if you haven't listened to him. 

     Number four is by a metal band with a jazzy rhythm section. I'm talkin' Paranoid by Black Sabbath. Almost every hard rock band is based on the blues, but Geezer and Bill seem to be influenced by jazz. If you don't belive me, check out "Rat Salad", "Planet Caravan" and "Fairies Wear Boots". This album also features classic rock radio staples "Paranoid" and "Iron Man". At one point I was close to having two Black Sabbath albums on this Mt. Rushmore, but I couldn't pull the trigger. 

     So, tomorrow will be the Seventies recap, then live albums and then on to the Sixties. Peace.




No comments:

Post a Comment