Monday, August 29, 2022

The White Stripes: De Stijl (2000)

 

     The White Stripes were roundly credited for the Garage Revival. As I am revisiting their second album, De Stijl (The Style), it strikes me as mostly a blues album. Yes, there are two tracks, "Let's Build a Home" and "Jumble, Jumble", that are textbook garage rock; complete with crunchy guitars and sloppy drums. However, the album is dedicated to bluesman Blind Willie McTell and much of it sounds like an homage to one of Jack White's guitar hereos, Jimmy Page. 

     The Jimmy Page influence is all over songs like "Little Bird", "I'm Boung to Pack It Up" and the Son House cover "Death Letter". Of course, Jimmy Page was featured in the film "This Might Get Loud" with Jack and U2's The Edge. I've never listened to Son House or Blind Willie McTell, so I don't know the extent that their style may have influenced Page or White. It is clear that Page was an influence on Jack White. 

     The album opens with "You're Pretty good Lookin' (For a Girl)". I wish I could take this song in a time machine back to 1965 and give it to The Kinks. It would have been a huge hit. The second track is the tremendous "Hello, Operator". This is more like the sound we would come to expect from a White Stripes song. The second verse is fantastic. "Find a canary, a bird to bring my message home. Carry my obituary, my coffin doesn't have a phone. How you gonna get the money? Send papers to an empty home. How you gonna get the money? Nobody to answer the phone". I also love Meg's drum rim solos.

     There are a few more tracks that point to the future sound of the band, like "Why Can't You Be Nicer to Me?" There are also a couple tracks that are like "We Are Gonna Be Friends" from White Blood Cells. I liken this type of Jack White song to those old tyme Paul McCartney songs that he would put on every Beatles album. They are cute, but not my personal favorites. 

     It was nice to really dig into De Stijl again. Truthfully, when I'm in the mood to listen to The White Stripes I just put on White Blood Cells. I forgot how good this record is. The White Stripes were a rare band who could combine style AND substance. The red, white and black motif was striking. And the whole marketing thing about whether they were married or brother and sister was brilliant. I still kick myself for not going to see them Downtown when I lived on the mean streets of the Detroit suburbs. I have seen Jack at the Little Caesar's Arena and The Raconteurs at the Agora here in Cleveland and he is an amazing performer. I'm sure The White Stripes will be first ballot Rock Hall inductees. Hopefully they will reunite for the ceremony. If they do I will be there. Peace.




     

No comments:

Post a Comment